.NET Compact Framework

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Any plan to support the .NET Compact Framework in the future?

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Hi,

I got some time to look around this issue, but it seems that it's not an easy task to transfer the code to CF.

The API depends heavily on Html Agility Pack's services. I tried to transfer it to CF, but a lot of XML related system classes used by Html Agility Pack are missing from CF.

If someone has time to transfer this Html Pack to CF, or find me a similar HTML parser library in CF, than I can implement the CF version of SkyDrive API.

Regards,

Gabor

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:32 PM
Edited Oct 2, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Maybe it will be a better way to provide an "adapter" for CF which acts between CF <--adapter --> HTML Agility Pack services?

My idea behind: It would be great if it is possible to write a CF application which talks to SkyDrive. So users will be able to access their SkyDrives from a mobile on the go.

Regards, hfrmobile

May 11, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Maybe SkyDrive API version 2.0 can be easily adopted to CF, ...

May 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM

First, congratulations. This is excelent project.
To bad that it cannot be used as API for Windows Phone. Do you have plans to migrate it to Windows Phone Class Library? WP7 dev community really needs something like this.

May 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Thank you for rating and expressing your opinion about this project.

Regarding your WP7 issue, I'm not familiar with WP7 develop environment/requirements. Which .net framework (including version) does it require?

May 13, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Well, problem with WP7, Silverlight or XNA projects is that you can't reference classic .NET Class Libraries (like yours). WP7 uses CLR that is part os Silverlight 3 CLR, XNA for WP7 uses .NET Compact Framework CLR.
If you want to add Class Library to your WP7 solution, you have to add special Windows Phone Class Library that has limited functionalty that .NET 4 Class Library. In your case (Sky Drive), you cannot use System.Data and System.Web namespace references, so it shold be rewrited (work with WP7 web and data services has little bit different approach).

Today, when number of applications that will run on WP7, Silverlight or XNA framework rises, .NET portability issues are biger and biger. Currently best solution for writting portable class libraries is use of Microsoft Portalble Library Tools:
http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/b0e0b5e9-e138-410b-ad10-00cb3caf4981/
So, if you going to rewrite SkyDriveServiceClient library, best way is to write it as Portable Class Library. In that case you don't have to be familiar with WP7 or XNA, but you will be sure that your code is portable to that platforms.

May 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I am wondering that MS still not offers a "cloud service" for that? Is it possible to access SkyDrive with PIE or from WP7? Used Mesh Mobile in the past but then MS stopped supporting it ...

Btw, I am able to access (view and edit) my GoogleDocs documents (spreadsheet, text, ...) even from WM5 since Google offers a "PDA friendly" version of most of their web sites ...

Portable Library Tools looks fine but since it is a VS-addIn it is not possible to use it with Visual Studio 2010 Express for Phone?

WP7 currently using CLR 3.7!? Looks strange, right?

http://cid-9015c1e219cdfada.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Microsoft/hfrmobile-WP7-DeviceTests.png

OSVersion: Microsoft Windows CE 7.0.7003
CFVersion: 3.7

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I was playing a bit with that Portable Library and it seems that it is possible to re-factor the code to keep the current feature while make it compatible with Portable Library constraints.

However, I am not familiar with WP7 platform and its restrictions, but I have to emphasize that this API requires cross-domain communication. So for instance, this API -unfortunately- would never work in a Silverlight application -even if it could be referenced due to Portable Library-, because of this cross-domain policy. Simple, you cannot put/modify a clientaccesspolicy.xml on MS sites :)

You can read more here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197955(v=vs.95).aspx and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645032(v=vs.95).aspx